On October 22, 2010, Robert Sungenis (Roman Catholic) and James R. White (Reformed Baptist) debated the issues of the existence of Purgatory. The debate was held at the Believer's Reason Conference at Newberg Christian Church in Newberg, Oregon.
The next day, presenters were asked to speak on their "theological presuppositions" for their position in their debate.
Welcome to the world of Mark Shea where exaggeration is as common as H2O and making straw men is as common as straw; where calling your opponent a fool or liar is more important than trying to understand what your opponent is saying and why he says it. It’s the same MO as always from Mark Shea: Shoot first, ask questions later.
Read the Full Article (PDF)
Read the Full Article (PDF)
Carafa’s conflation of “heretical” and “contrary to Scripture” was the first sign of how easy it would be to come to think that Copernicanism had been declared heretical, which was to become one of the most persistent myths in the subsequent controversy.
To my knowledge, Finocchiaro is the only Galileo scholar to advance this novel thesis. At the outset, we must note that the idea of it being a “myth” implies there was no truth to the accusation of heresy; that it was completely fabricated; that it had no historical roots; as well as no precedent and no justification. As such, the bar is set quite high for Finocchiaro to prove his case. The shortest and most obvious answer to Finocchiaro’s challenge is that since Galileo was convicted by the 1633 Inquisition of being “vehemently suspect of heresy,” and since Finocchiaro agrees the Church condemned Galileo with that specific canonical label, logic requires that Galileo could only be suspect of holding the heresy if, indeed, the heresy had already been defined and declared by the Church. The previous defining of the heresy, which would have occurred in 1616, would allow the Church to decide at the 1633 trial whether Galileo’s belief made him guilty of the heresy, or perhaps some lesser charge, such as “suspect” of the heresy.
Read the Full Article (PDF)
09/11/19 DR. ROBERT SUNGENIS TONITE! : Opinion on Sedevacantist Gerry Matatics, What Jesus Did on the Cross
1. Summary of the Doctrine of Salvation; propitiation vs expiation, justification vs sanctification, Protestant vs Catholic views
2. Is hell in the center of the Earth? Purgatory and Limbo?
3. What heaven is like
4. Thoughts about Gerry Matatics and Sedevacantism
5. Essence vs Energy Debate with Orthodox
6. Is it a sin to say rude thing about a priest
7. Is the Mass a propitiatory sacrifice vs James White, favorite part, White's book Fatal Flaw
8. Interpretation of Genesis, literally, the Catholic hermeneutic
9. The Eucharist, Transubstantiation
08/07/19 DR. ROBERT SUNGENIS TONITE! : Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, heliocentrism, geocentrism, Dr. James White's interpretation of Hebrews 10:29, Special Relativity, Hebrews 3:14, Fr Georges Lemaître
- Intro to the Exegetical Commentary Project
- Rob Mullane · 9:51 My question how could a global conspiracy go on. Diplomatically with space treaties. Ambitious countries. How could a international mindset agree to such a global obstacle. Knowing they would have to know. I believe you. I believe your science. How could a fallacy like this remain. True top engineers say in the space industry. Like Ron Hatch have come around about relativity. Taking a plane in one direction. The time is about the same in the other. They say that's because the atmosphere travels with the rotation. If that's true why doesn't the rotation kick in with travel time. The first sentence is the question.
- Renée Marie · 13:33 Hi Robert. Kindly post the links of your youtube channel, youtube posts
- A question about latest images of black holes.
- Andrew Attar · 16:39 The enemies of the faith fully understand what's at stake.
- Charlie Salcedo · 18:33 A holy fear of God is good
- Charlie Salcedo · 20:28 Have you heard of the Pascal's Wager?
- Laurence Gonzaga · 20:12 Question: Considering the insights from Not by Bread Alone about the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, is the Ordinary Form sufficiently demonstrating this reality?
- Ro En · 21:20 I don't think that heliocentrism necessarily leads to the conclusion that humanity is insignificant.
- Edoardo da Pra · 21:38 Have you considered doing live youtube videos? it seems to me that now many are evangelizing or spreading error to huge crowds on that platform. Look at Skiba, James White, Hovind, Ben Shapiro, Alex Jones, they all found big crowds on Youtube. Will you also put yuur old movies on the chANNEL
- Andrew Attar · 21:56 What's the central theological issue you're working on after geocentrism?
- Ro En · 34:16 Robert Sungenis, can you comment on Dr. James White's interpretation of Hebrews 10:29? He says that the one who is sanctified is Jesus.
- Andrew Attar · 24:03 Is it true the orbital satellites disprove Special Relativity? No time displacement.
- Gage Livingston · 30:16 Hi Robert, Can you comment on the Greek used in Hebrews 3:14 that we have discussed by email to answer this question: How does the verse leave open the possibility that the one who truly believed but then falls away did at one time "share in Christ" since the verse says that on the condition we hold our confidence to the end, then we share in Christ now? It seems to indicate that the one who doesn't hold their confidence firm to the end does not share in Christ now. Yet, in Catholic theology we would say it is possible to share in Christ now but then fall away.
- Edoardo da Pra · 33:40 Would you consider hiring a social media expert that can help you spread your material? How about podcasts on Spotify, that is what many young people listen to now. There are many orthodox Catholics that can launch in a new and effective way your books, videos and material. I think there is so much potential that your work has that has not yet been actualized. Maybe some Church Militant media worker could help, I am sure you can find one.
- Johnny Proctor · 37:03 Thanks for doing this, Dr. Sungenis, This is a very direct way to share the holy Gospel.
- Paul Novak · 41:06 What are your thoughts on Fr Georges Lemaître I've never heard you mention him and if you have I apologize.